- Virtualization Profile for VxWorks integrates real-time embedded, Type 1 hypervisor into the core of the real-time operating system.
- Wind River real-time virtualisation offering update includes storage virtualization capabilities, enhanced security capabilities, and expanded processor support.
Wind River, a global leader in delivering software for the Internet of Things (IoT), has updated to its real-time virtualization offering that allows customers to further reduce cost and innovate connected devices. The update includes storage virtualization capabilities, enhanced security capabilities, and expanded processor support.
Virtualization Profile for VxWorks® is based on Wind River virtualization technology and extends the scalability capabilities of VxWorks by integrating a real-time embedded, Type 1 hypervisor into the core of the real-time operating system (RTOS). Through embedded virtualization, it allows VxWorks customers to consolidate multiple disparate workloads on a single processor. Critical in today’s era of IoT, it helps to address the need for robust, safer and more secure partitioning across all market segments.
“Virtualization is a key attribute in GE’s global vision for industrial control systems in the era of the Industrial Internet. It allows the GE businesses to combine their real-time control logic, HMI, security, and cloud connectivity into a single platform,” said Wes Skeffington, principal engineer at GE. “Wind River’s virtualization offering provides the right attributes like scalability, storage virtualization, real-time behavior, virtual machine isolation, and security capabilities to realize this vision.”
Updates to Virtualization Profile for VxWorks include the following:
- Storage virtualization through VirtIO allows devices to share a single storage controller, even a single disk, such as a Serial ATA device between multiple virtual machines (VMs), thereby dramatically reducing cost and complexity for consolidated systems. The run-time configuration, combined with support for the VirtIO device virtualization framework makes the virtualization profile a flexible and highly customizable virtualization layer for embedded devices.
- Enhanced security capabilities include seamless integration with the Security Profile for VxWorks. These capabilities help customers to guard security from power-on all the way through VM load and beyond with secure boot, secure load, and data encryption during transmission and after shutdown.
- Expanded processor support includes support for Intel®Atom and Celeron architectures, providing even greater choices for customers to build product lines that scale from low end controllers to major gateways and high performance compute and display stations.
The Virtualization Profile for VxWorks is an integral part of the Intel Industrial Solutions System Consolidation Series, a production-ready, virtualisation software stack used for running an assortment of industrial and IoT workloads on a single platform.