VMWare Pulse IoT Center enables these organisations to automate management at scale, enhance security and extend it to edge
Software virtualisation company VMWare announced the launch of upgraded version of its edge infrastructure and Internet of Things (IoT) device lifecycle management platform – Pulse IoT Center. The platform has been upgraded with all new lifecycle management tools for edge/IoT devices, sensors and applications that are designed to make device on-boarding and registration more simple and secure.
VMWare Pulse IoT Center is ideal for IT as well as operational technology (OT) organisations and all use cases of IoT. The center enables these organisations to automate management at scale, enhance security and extend it to edge and optimise the collected data.
The key features of Pulse IoT Center include:
- SaaS support: The updated version of the platform is available as software-as-a-service (SaaS). These services will be now be hosted by VMware, with its cloud provider partners offering hosting later in 2019.
- Low-touch device fleet on-boarding:Negligible touch enrollment, bulk on-boarding, and device templates cut down the complexity and time for getting started with IoT.
- More secure device enrollment: Connect and register devices with unique device token IDs or certificates and gather common device system properties and metrics during initial on-boarding.
- Advanced system management: Single management console and lens offer visibility across heterogenous edge and IoT devices at scale – managing millions of devices. Support with more secure remote troubleshooting, Syslog upload to Pulse IoT Center, and issue actions and commands to gateways.
- Enhanced over-the-air (OTA) updates:Granular management and control of updates to software/firmware including scheduling, activation, approvals and installation progress. Rapidly deploy and configure updates with wizard-based set up.
- Container management:Provision and issue commands to containers powered by compatible edge compute devices and gateways.
- Rich alerts and notifications: Set alerts for groups of managed objects and issue notifications through email or to third parties via REST API. The symptom-based alerts on devices can be set with metrics thresholds. Support device offline alerts and device offline metrics and batch collection.
- Bridge the IT-OT gap: Support OT operations with strong monitoring and alerting across all IoT devices, and support IT needs for security and control with one management platform.
There are several challenges associated with IoT and edge. These include securely connecting and gathering data from numerous devices and sources. This, in turn, can lead to formation of inefficient, isolated IoT silos and tend to increase the gap between IoT and OT. VMWare Pulse IoT Center 2.0 is designed to help in mitigating these challenges.