- Ericsson’s new AI capabilities can boost 5G coverage by up to 25 per cent
- It will also enable four times more uplink capacity on LTE networks
- The new software will become available worldwide from November this year
Ericsson has launched an artificial intelligence (AI) software functionality with unique capabilities for optimizing radio access networks (RAN) which will enable communication service providers to boost network performance and user experience.
The company’s new AI software capabilities cover two main areas:
- Advanced traffic management: Secures the optimal distribution of traffic
- Evolved carrier optimization: Enables uplink improvements and predictive carrier aggregation.
The RAN Compute architecture is optimized to process network data using AI. Ericsson’s AI algorithms are added to the radio site, providing extended 5G coverage as well as better LTE performance.
AI and 5G
Ericsson’s new AI capabilities can boost 5G coverage by up to 25 per cent. It will also enable four times more uplink capacity on LTE networks, through traffic-aware carrier aggregation, boosting connectivity for a broad ecosystem of advanced smartphones.
“The new AI capabilities can be enabled with a remote software update. Any current installed RAN Compute base will benefit from the enhancements without the need for any site visits or additional new equipment,” said Ulf Rydin, head of Product Area 4G RAN, Ericsson.
Rydin added “AI is key to increasing speeds and predicting traffic, in real-time. Our AI capabilities have been uniquely optimized for the RAN Compute while preserving full capacity. They now offer increased 5G coverage and LTE performance – all enabled by a remote software update.”
The new software will become available worldwide from November this year.