Ruuvi Node is an open-source industrial-grade environmental sensing and asset tracking solution with cellular connectivity, energy harvesting, GPS and NFC
Nordic Semiconductor announced a new node solution from Ruuvi Innovations – a Finland-based open-source electronics specialist. The new node is open-source, unique, multi-purpose and industrial-grade cellular gateway and can be used for environmental sensing and asset tracking.
The new product integrates a low-power Nordic nRF9160 SiP cellular IoT module (LTE-M and NB-IoT) as well as an ultra-low power Nordic nRF52840 Bluetooth 5 multi-protocol (Thread, Zigbee) SoC.
The Ruuvi Node is free from maintenance and include the following key features:
- A full range of environmental sensors
- An embedded solar panel to support energy harvesting (which in some applications will mean the batteries never run out)
- GPS positioning (leveraging the Nordic nRF9160 SiP’s embedded GPS support)
- NFC for securely reading device IDs and uploading configuration parameters (leveraging the embedded NFC feature on Nordic’s nRF52840 SoC)
- A large capacity 45Wh battery
- Multi-use expansion ports
- Support for an external power source for high duty applications
The new device can function as a standalone IoT asset tracker and sensor node and will also be able to serve as a cellular gateway for any of the existing ‘RuuviTag’ Bluetooth sensor beacons situated nearby.
Asset tracking and sensor uses
Commenting on the development, Lauri Jämsä, Founder and CEO, Ruuvi Innovations, said, “We’re really excited about employing Nordic Semiconductor’s brand-new cellular module on our new product. Pairing the NB-IoT and Cat-M1 cellular module with our multi-use energy harvester node enables totally new kinds of asset tracking, gateway and sensor uses.”
“These maintenance-free global cellular nodes can create huge cost-savings and enable large IoT deployments in places where using similar technology hasn’t previously been a viable option,” Jämsä added.
Henri Hakunti, COO, Ruuvi Innovations, said “Ruuvi Node is a great addition to our product portfolio. It’s great to see that our open-source approach is continuously gaining more and more interest. Companies large and small can save a lot of time and resources by using our open-source products and not needing to develop their own sensor products from scratch.”